Clinical Track Assistant, Associate, Full Professor Emergency Equine Surgery
5 days left
- Organization Type
The Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences in the College of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State University, located in Ames, Iowa, invites applications for a full-time, clinical-track faculty position in Emergency Equine Surgery. The qualifications, documented experience, and interests of the selected candidate will determine appointment rank.
This position will be responsible for receiving and assisting with elective and emergency cases admitted both during and after regular business hours, and will provide 50% emergency coverage including in-house emergency after hours and weekend obligations. Supporting house officers for these emergencies, assessing need for further consultation with primary resident and/or clinician, performing routine after hours emergency surgeries, and assisting with more complex emergency surgeries will also be expected. If interested, the applicant would also have opportunities to see regularly scheduled appointments and perform elective surgeries. The percentage effort associated with these combined activities will be determined by mutual agreement between the candidate and the Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences.
Duties include transferring emergency cases to respective service the following day, teaching students on treatment and monitoring of in house patients, and providing guidance and instruction on specific ICU/emergency topics to students on equine and ICU rotation. This position also includes participation in resident training and instruction of veterinary students. Further duties involve instructing students in equine medicine and surgery, teaching surgical skills, didactic teaching, and laboratory teaching involving canine and feline patients.
The selected candidate will be committed to the delivery of exceptional patient care, share an enthusiastic dedication to education and will contribute to the enhancement of the Lloyd Veterinary Medical Center (LVMC). The successful candidate will also have a collegial, collaborative attitude and willingness to participate in all levels of technician, student, and house officer education. The candidate will be highly self-motivated, innovative, and will possess excellent communication skills and experience working with a diverse population. Furthermore, the candidate will demonstrate professional maturity with a leadership style that contributes to a positive culture, and have a compassionate and empathetic nature towards the clients and patients of the LVMC. All employees are expected to exhibit and convey good citizenship within the program, the department, college, university activities, collegial interactions, and maintain the highest standards of integrity and ethical behavior.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
-DVM or equivalent degree.
- Successful completion of an American College of Veterinary Surgeons (ACVS) approved residency training program. Candidates in their third year of an approved Equine Surgery residency training program will also be considered and are encouraged to apply.
- State of Iowa Veterinary License on or before the first day of employment.
-Experience in emergency and critical care medicine
- A record of or notable potential for scholarship obtained through manuscript publication/preparation, or national scholarly, clinical, or educational presentations, or evidence of having applied for, received, or completed grants/funding.
- Experience in student education, utilizing didactic lectures, surgical teaching laboratories, and clinical skills training is desirable.
- Board Eligibility or Board Certification by the ACVS