Clinical Instructor/Assistant Professor, Large Animal Medicine & Surgery
7 days left
- Organization Type
To make a difference, you have to be different. That’s what we strive to be.
A career with Ross Vet is more than just a job; it is an extraordinary opportunity to join an innovative, collaborative community of passionate professionals making a difference every day by advancing human and animal health through the power of education.
We make a difference by providing our students with an unparalleled learning experience as they prepare for lifelong career success as today’s veterinarians and tomorrow’s leaders. Ross Vet colleagues thrive in a culture that encourages personal growth and professional development, bringing meaning and purpose to everything we do.
Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine (RUSVM) offers a unique AVMA-accredited program of training on the island of St. Kitts, West Indies. The island, located in the Caribbean, provides an opportunity for study in an environment rich in distinctive culture, natural beauty, and exotic marine and wildlife. A cutting-edge and innovative curriculum provides the best possible training for tomorrow’s veterinarians. Students benefit from seven semesters of integrated preclinical and clinical studies on our beautiful St. Kitts campus, followed by one year of clinical training at one of our affiliate veterinary teaching hospitals in the United States, Canada, Europe, and New Zealand. We prioritize the recruitment of talented faculty and staff who are experts in their field and passionate about veterinary education and who wish to join us in delivering our vision of practice-ready graduates.
We are seeking 2 new members to join our collegial Large Animal faculty team – 1 Surgeon and 1 Internal Medicine. Both positions will report directly to the Department Head of Clinical Sciences. Ranks for each position will be determined by qualifications and experience. We are recruiting at the Clinical Instructor or Assistant Professor level for the Medicine position and at the Assistant or Associate Professor level for the Surgery role.
For the Medicine position, the successful candidate will provide instruction in the production animal medicine with an emphasis on herd health. For the Surgery position, Diplomate status in the American College of Veterinary Surgeons (ACVS) or the European College of Veterinary Surgeons (ECVS). Substantial appropriate clinical experience could substitute for the above in exceptional circumstances.
A strong research interest will be expected. If an applicant does not hold an MS or Ph.D., there will be an expectation to undertake postgraduate research qualification. The University has a clear strategy and funding for conditions relevant to infectious disease and health concerns of animals in the tropics.
Both roles will have responsibilities in 3 core areas. Those include:
- Participate in team-taught courses such as large animal medicine and surgery
- Participate in case-based or other didactic courses
- Participate in Essential Veterinary Skills and Introduction to Clinics laboratories
- Research and Scholarly Activity:
- Submit grants for intramural funding and/or extramural funding
- Develop an independent and/or collaborative research program resulting in publications in peer-
- Presentation of scientific findings at conferences
- Engagement in service activities, including faculty meetings, assigned committees, and student
support via meetings by appointment is expected.
- Serve on postgraduate committees for MSc and Ph.D. students as deemed appropriate by the
- Other duties as determined by the Department Head
- DVM or equivalent is required.
- Board certification is highly preferred.
- For the Medicine position - Large Animal Internal Medicine (American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine or European College of Veterinary Internal Medicine), Practitioner Boards (Food Animal) are preferred but not required.
- For the Surgery position - Diplomate status in the American College of Veterinary Surgeons (ACVS) or the European College of Veterinary Surgeons (ECVS).
- Preference will be given to those candidates with experience in teaching in a University environment in an AVMA accredited school or equivalent.
- The successful applicant should have excellent interpersonal communication skills and a demonstrated ability to work with others in a collegial team atmosphere.
Academic rank and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and work experience. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by submitting curriculum vitae (CV) and letter of intent describing the vision of their contribution in areas of teaching, research, and service online at https://careers.adtalem.com/us/en/ross-university-school-of-veterinary-medicine. Direct general inquiries to Cynthia.Butchley@adtalem.com
The salary is very competitive with US-based universities, plus there is no income tax in St. Kitts. Additional benefits include significant relocation and repatriation package, health insurance, annual continuous education budget, annual travel benefit, geographical living allowance, retirement match (up to 6% of the salary), and 7 weeks paid leave, usually taken between semesters.
Apply for Clinical Instructor/Assistant Professor, Large Animal Medicine & Surgery
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly