Medical Director – Chicago
Medical Director-Chicago, Illinois
Our client is a growing network of emergency and specialty hospitals for pets, with facilities throughout the US to deliver exceptional care and service.
This is an opportunity for a strong Medical Director at one of the largest hospitals, located in Chicago, IL.
Hospital leadership is pivotal to success. The hospital Medical Director (MD) works with the Hospital Director (HD) to lead the Healthcare Team. The MD reports to a Regional Medical Director and is the local leader of Medical Services and oversees all specialty and emergency doctors, as well as interns and residents. The MD promotes a culture that supports development of engaged and empowered employees, who deliver an outstanding experience in a healthy and sustainable manner, while living the core values of Teamwork, Leadership and Compassion.
The leadership model provides representation of all employees, fosters diversity of thought, and leverages the variable experience and skill of the Medical Services and Clinical Services Teams. The MD works to improve and sustain the focus on evaluating, planning, and implementing the delivery of best-in-class healthcare to patients in support of the mission to provide Leading Specialty Healthcare for Pets.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Foster a Culture that supports development of Engaged and Empowered Employees as well as continuous improvement.
- In partnership with the Hospital Director, serves as an overall leader for the hospital, directing both Emergency and Specialty services
- Lead and direct the Medical Services teams in the hospital, including doctor hiring, doctor onboarding, doctor development, and management of doctor performance issues, partnering with Clinical Services, HR, or other teams as needed. Continually evaluate hiring needs and opportunities for growth of the practice, working in partnership with the Medical Recruiting team.
- Responsible for managing overall department workflows, ensuring that patient care is delivered in an efficient, safe, and compassionate manner.
- Responsible for doctor scheduling, department meetings, and other doctor-facing communications.
- Leads implementation for medical services initiatives within the hospital.
- Works with the Hospital Director to ensure the Clinical Services team has the resources and tools to deliver high-quality patient, client, and referral partner experience. This includes working with hospital director to ensure appropriate staffing as well as working with Operations & IT to ensure supplies, equipment, and technical tools are available and functioning.
- Works with the Hospital Director to manage overall hospital financial results, including inventory/supplies and other expenses.
- Work with Specialty and ER departments to develop and maintain systems for communication and handling of patients between departments, including transfers, after hour exams, and transport among hospitals.
- Assist in ensuring the practice complies with the State Veterinary Medical Practice Act, OSHA and AAHA standards.
- Work collaboratively with the HD, Regional Medical Director (RMD), VP of Clinical services and Finance to Prepare and Manage Hospital Budget and Capital Budget:
- Includes revenue budget, expense budget, profit and loss statements, and management of payroll to revenue
- Encourage participation of all depts. (doctors and clinical managers) in capital budget process
- Work with the RMD to Lead Operational Planning efforts and execution for the hospital on an annual basis.
- Participate in hospital and regional Results Management Meetings
- Ensure Referral Partner relationships are strong and growing by fostering a culture supportive of Referral Partner outreach and CE activities. Ensures that doctors are doing the appropriate referral partner outreach, and coaches them on how to effectively build referral partner relationships so that they can grow their practice.
- Oversee patient care issues, referral partner concerns, and responses to client complaints, personally handling escalated client and referral partner issues. Interacts with regulatory boards as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The successful candidate will:
- Have demonstrated leadership with a strong track record of success during times of change, transformation and rapid growth
- Have at least ten years of progressive growth and experience in a veterinary or human hospital or other healthcare organization
- A board-certified veterinary specialist or an experienced ER doctor is ideal; however, leaders with appropriate experience are also welcomed, including those from human healthcare
- Have the capability to effectively manage conflict in highly emotional situations with grace and maturity
Key Attributes Desired
- Action-Oriented and ability to create and drive common goals
- Effective Change Management
- Addresses conflict with grace but doesn’t let issues linger
Apply for Medical Director – Chicago
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly