Are you an internal medicine specialist who enjoys clinical practice but loves teaching even more?
Do you have high level clinical skills and knowledge that you would like to pass on to the next generation of medicine residents?
Do you like the challenge of a busy environment with complex cases but maybe would like to a take a supervisor role rather than being at the coalface?
Training residents and supporting them on their journey to specialisation has always been a core part of our business. Providing the right type of training and having the time to train residents in clinical practice is extremely challenging. Managing your own workload and creating a learning environment isn’t easy. This has led us to believe the best way to do this is to create the position of a Senior Clinical Coordinator whose sole job is to supervise medicine resident’s clinical work and academic study. This is not a clinical position and face to face with clients is not expected.
Veterinary Specialist Services is an established Small Animal referral practice in South East Queensland. This role would be based at our Carrara practice on the beautiful Gold Coast. We are striving to create an environment where people can do their best work. We have many things to work on to get there, but we are adapting as fast as possible. Our teams are very passionate about delivering patient care and support each other to do it. We have a very diverse skill set and can offer just about all specialties, diagnostic modalities and therapies across our practice group. We have residency training programs for vets, in house training programs for nurses and over the years, about 20% of our interns have gone on to become registered Specialists. We are involved in the industry with wide participation in professional groups, universities, continuing education courses and we have our own conference.
What we are looking for
- A person who will be a genuine team player in a large team. This means different personalities, work styles and methods, but with the same ultimate goal.
- A person who wants to teach and see their candidates excel.
- A person who understands that we all have a role to play, and that the ultimate outcome is to deliver the best possible care for our patients, our clients and our referring veterinarians.
- A person who is genuinely adaptable – we’ve had to change a whole lot of things over the last 12 months, and forsee ongoing change and adaptation to improve our workplace.
Why we hope you’ll want to join us
- Another such position has been in place at our Underwood clinic for the last 4 years and we have refined the position into a highly effective and enjoyable position.
- You won’t be performing this role in isolation. You will be able to liaise and collaborate with the Underwood supervisor to maximise resident learning opportunities across all practices.
- We practice genuine multidisciplinary medicine at the Specialist level. We really can offer just about any treatment, but we consider everything through the lens of our training programs and experience.
- We have a long history of training people.
- We are evolving the company with a focus on people, their careers and their development. This is a work in progress and we want the right people along for the journey.
- We listen and try to respond to our people’s needs. We don’t always get it right but we will keep trying. We are owned and run by veterinarians who work on the floor in the clinic.
Why you might not want to join us
- This will be a training position and whilst still very hands on with patients and procedures, client contact will be limited.
- Our case load is high, unpredictable and complex and training residents to excel in this environment is a challenge especially whilst balancing the need for veterinary care to be delivered in a compassionate and professional way.
- There is a high rate of change in the organisation at the moment. We are making changes to procedures, protocols and staffing levels. These are all with the intent of improving our environment, but some changes take time to progress through into reality and adaptation is required.
Please either submit your CV and a covering letter to us at HR@vss.net.au, or contact Lorraine Connon (Carrara’s practice manager) if you’d like any more information. We understand the employment market for Veterinarians is competitive and are happy to talk about remuneration. We’ve got the policies and support programs you’d expect from a larger practice. You can check out our website (vss.net.au), have a look at our Veterinary Resource Area, https://www.vss.net.au/vss-resource-area.html or let us know if you’d like to talk to one of our team members for some unbiased feedback on how things are in the clinic.
Apply for Clinical Coordinator
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly