Job Description: VCA Animal Care Center of Sonoma County (ACC)
, a 24/7 Specialty Referral and Emergency hospital is hiring a Specialty Medical Director
to lead our team. This is a wonderful opportunity to have a positive and lasting impact.
VCA ACC began as an emergency practice and grew into a well-respected emergency and specialty referral center, moving into our existing 18,000 sq. ft. facility 16 years ago. A former movie multiplex was completely remodeled to accommodate our large specialty practice with 15 exam rooms, 4 surgical suites and plenty of room to grow. Today, we are a team of 21 doctors, 55 technicians (20 of them registered) who pride ourselves on our collaborative approach to patient care representing Internal Medicine, Surgery, Neurology, Cardiology, Dentistry and Rehabilitation. Equipment and technology use includes 1.5T MRI, on-site 16 slice CT, endoscopy and laparoscopy equipment, GE Vivid E95 cardiac ultrasound machine with a 4D TEE probe, Philips touch 6 lead ECG machine, abdominal ultrasound machine, 3 oxygen cage banks, a fully equipped cardiac catheterization suite including a GE OEC 9800 fluoroscope, ECG telemetry, underwater treadmill, laser therapy, non-invasive surgical scoping equipment, and other state-of-the-art equipment. This equipment is essential, but useless without a good team. We strive for a cohesive and collegial relationship with one another and with our valued referring veterinary partners.
There is a plaque at our hospital that says: "Committed to excellence and exemplary care of pets and their human companions". That is the central theme and fundamental belief of everyone who works here and permeates everything we do.
As far as the surrounding area, you would be hard pressed to find a more beautiful region of the country
. With vast green vineyards, redwoods, regional state parks with beautiful hiking and biking trails Sonoma is an outdoorsman/woman's dream. It is just a short drive to swim or surf in the ocean, ski in Tahoe, bike or hike in the mountains, or enjoy all the virtues the San Francisco Bay Area offers. The area is world renown for delicious food and wine, fresh air, great weather and beautiful landscape. It really is like no other location!Job Summary:
The Medical Director (MD) under direction of the field management team, is responsible for establishing the medical quality and patient care practiced by all doctors in a given hospital. The MD achieves this through strong leadership and serving as a mentor and role model for the associate veterinarians and staff. A MD should demonstrate a strong work ethic, integrity, and a consistent positive attitude. The MD is also an integral part of the hospital management team responsible for the overall financial performance of the hospital, and helps create and drive the overall direction for the hospital that will achieve positive results. The MD also fulfills all of the duties of a staff veterinarian in addition to the specific responsibilities of Medical Director. The MD is a mentor and role model for staff veterinarians and support team members. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Ability to take information obtained from clients, staff, and other sources, discern that which is credible, and assess the hospital and/or a situation objectively.
- Ability to multi-task and deal with high levels of stress in an environment of changing priorities.
- Comfortably and confidently confronts difficult issues with co-workers and is a skilled communicator at multiple levels within VCA.
- Is capable of, and willing to work the hours necessary to accomplish the required responsibilities and ensure the smooth operation of the hospital.
- Ensures highest quality patient care (pain control, safe anesthetic practices, wellness care, care for hospitalized patients etc.) and medical decision making by the associate DVM team
- Oversees the medical protocols for the hospital by partnering with the Regional Medical Director (RMD)- including handling of patients with infectious disease, isolation protocols, anesthesia prep/monitoring standards etc.
- Works with the associate DVM team to deliver a consistent message to staff and clients regarding patient care, case management and medical standards. Along with the RMD, gives associate DVM's direct feedback on case management problems or in cases where mistakes were made. Performs an internal review in such circumstances and revises protocols when appropriate.
- Along with the RMD, medical record review of associate DVM's.
- Decides on products/ drugs for hospital to carry as well as equipment purchases within VCA guidelines
- Ensures drug log practices in place and secure
- Stays medically current by reading journals, attending CE events. Shares knowledge gained with associate veterinarians and technicians
- Along with RMD and Hospital Manager, performs yearly associate DVM reviews
- Supports VCA medical initiatives and ensures successful implementation within the hospital
- Holds monthly doctor meeting
- Ensures equipment problems/needs reported to the HM. Along with RMD and HM, creates new equipment requests
- The MD and RMD handle all client and RDVM complaints related to medical quality or care provided. The MD works with the HM to ensure delivery of top-level client service to every client.
- Oversees the client/patient flow to ensure clients receive timely service
- Ensures high level and timely communication to clients by DVM team in the delivery method requested by the client
- The MD/HM/ROD (Regional Operations Director) and RMD should be key promoters of the hospital through community outreach and involvement.
- Encourage local outreach and community involvement by all associates and other key members of the hospital team
- Participation in the development of local marketing initiatives with the HM
- Strategic planning- continue to look at new opportunities and develop innovative ideas to move the hospital forward
- The MD and HM should work closely together on hospital planning for the future
At VCA we are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and want to be a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay and do their best work. Equal Opportunity Employer Veterans Disabled.