Registered Veterinary Technician
(Specialty Training Provided)
Durham, North Carolina
HIRING BOUNS-$3500 Are you a Registered Veterinary Technician with an interest in specialty medicine? If so, we would like to meet you! TVRH is seeking a Registered Veterinary Technician to join our Oncology service. We are open to all experience levels. Whether you have years of specialty experience or you’re a recent graduate with one year of general practice experience, TVRH may be the fit for you. A strong training program and mentorship is available for the right candidate. This role functions with a great deal of autonomy and responsibility; solid technical skills, sound judgment, excellent communication skills, a positive attitude, and the ability to work both independently and with a team are required.
The Triangle's premier Emergency and Specialty Hospitals are growing! We are looking for highly motivated, highly skilled individuals to join our team. We provide 24-hour emergency service and specialty referrals in surgery, internal medicine, cardiology, oncology, and radiology and we're looking for technicians who want to utilize their skills to the fullest potential in a fast paced, fun, and stimulating environment.
Title: Oncology RVT
Department: Specialty Services; Oncology
Schedule: FT Hours – Weekdays, 1st shift
The Oncology Registered Veterinary Technician is an integral part in ensuring a functioning and efficient service to clients and their pets. The technician will assist the Oncologist in starting appointments, discharging patients, providing exceptional nursing care to patients, administering chemotherapy, maintaining paperwork, client education, and having exceptional client communication skills to maintain relationships with families who are coping with their pet’s terminal illness. The oncology RVT will be responsible for more advanced responsibility such as cross training in other specialty departments to be a well-rounded and invaluable medical support team member, obtain images via CT, induce and maintain sedation and general anesthesia for CT and other procedures, inventory and purchasing of oncology drugs and commonly used materials, and acting as a liaison between the oncologist and referring veterinarians.
Essential Job Functions
Regular duties include client communication and education; taking patient histories; in-patient nursing care, monitoring and treatments; medication calculations and administration; venipuncture; IV catheter placement; digital radiography and more.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assist our Oncologist and other team members
- Proficiency with venous catheterization
- Possess or acquire knowledge of chemotherapy medications and how to deliver them
- Follow OSHA safety standards for preparing, handling and disposing of chemotherapy drugs
- Enter medical record notes and ensure that information in medical record is accurate and up to date in a timely fashion
- Admit Oncology patients for outpatient chemotherapy visits and obtain through history including current medications and dosages, response to treatment and side effects, intensity, and duration
- Reconstitute, dispense, and administer chemotherapy agents in adherence with hospital chemotherapy administration protocols
- Admit Oncology patients for hospitalization
- Provide nursing care to hospitalized patients and medical care to outpatients
- Induce, monitor, and recover anesthesia for oncology procedures ie. biopsies and CT scans
- Able to maintain and care for anesthesia equipment
- Learn parameters to produce accurate images on CT and run machine appropriately
- Maintain laboratory test and result tracking documents
- Act as a liaison between oncologist and referring veterinarians by taking messages for referrals and giving updates about patients when oncologist is not available to do so in a timely manner
- Cross train in other specialty departments to assist and cover when schedule allows
- Restrain animals safely using stress-free handling techniques
- Work collaboratively and positively with all coworkers
- Successfully use all in house laboratory equipment to provide accurate results
- Safely and effectively take digital radiographs
- Calculate drug dosages accurately
- Give medications via all prescribed routes: PO, SC, IM, IV
- Effectively care for and communicate with clients
Identify and bring to the attention of the management, any issues or concerns that require attention and assist in the development of solutions
Maintain professionalism in high pressure situation and around clients in varying emotional states.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent
- Associates degree in Veterinary Technology
- Current RVT in NC
- 2+ years of work experience as a veterinary technician
- 1+ years of work experience as a veterinary oncology technician or ER/Specialty technician (preferred)
In addition to a competitive salary, TVRH offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Health, vision, and dental
- HSA and FSA Plans
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Critical Illness, Accident and Hospital Indemnity
- Life Insurance
- 401k with employer match
- Paid Parental Leave
Internal benefits include PTO, CE PTO and allowance, uniform allowance, and veterinary services discount.