The Oncology Service (TOS) is looking for a Medical Director to help lead and grow our well-established team of medical and radiation oncologists. This position would be based out of our Richmond, VA location. The Oncology Service has been providing oncology care for companion animals in the Mid-Atlantic area for over 20 years. We currently have three practice locations in Virginia offering medical and radiation oncology. Our practice is dedicated to the integration of personalized and compassionate care with cutting edge options for cancer.
The Medical Director, in conjunction with the hospital leadership teams will be responsible for overseeing the medical operations of the hospital, serve as a mentor to staff, and lead the advancement of high-quality patient care and client service. The Medical Director will also work in collaboration with the hospital leadership teams to maintain and build our relationships with the referring community.
The ideal candidate will have leadership/management experience, preferably in a large, multi-specialty or multilocation practice. Other areas of leadership experience (academia, industry, not-for profit) will be considered. The successful candidate will also possess strong emotional intelligence; those who are self-aware, have positive attitudes, authenticity, and empathy toward others.
Skills and Qualifications
· A Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree, or equivalent, from an accredited university.
· Board certification in medical or radiation oncology, radiology, or internal medicine (ie. DACVIM-O, DACVR-RO, DACVR, OR DACVIM)
· At least 10 years of clinical, scientific, or industry experience ideally in a high-volume environment.
· Ability to become licensed to practice in the state of Virginia.
· Professional and excellent interpersonal skills and a positive, diplomatic attitude.
· Medical Director is a full-time position consisting of 2-3 days clinic days per week with 1.5-2 days of “off-clinic” time allocated for management responsibilities.
· Plans and directs the development, implementation, operation, maintenance, and control of essential medical services.
· Advises on policies and procedures for “best practice” clinical operations and efficient use of staff.
· Accountable for the exemplary delivery of all clinical services to ensure an optimum client experience without compromising profitability.
· Responsible for strategic clinical relationship with the referring veterinary community.
· Oversees client medical issues.
· Provides clinical mentoring and coaching. Supervises staff and monitors training, continuing education and development of the clinical team (DVMs & techs).
· Evaluates the performance of technical staff members.
· Ensures compliance with policies and regulatory requirements.
· Makes recommendations for improving effectiveness of clinical policies and procedures.
· Ensures duties, responsibilities, authority and accountability of subordinates are defined and understood.
· Monitors all aspects of medical quality and reports findings to senior management.
We are a proud United Veterinary Care Partner hospital. United Veterinary Care supports the unique culture and individuality of each partner hospital while empowering the hospital teams in their care for patients. One of our goals is to support our community of hospitals in creating sustainable, fulfilling careers in a profession we love. Apply online or email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org