The primary role of the In-Patient Care Associate Veterinarian - (Hospitalist) is to provide consistent 24-hour doctor care for hospitalized patients that are not under the direct care of a specialty department. Responsibilities include oversight of all aspects of inpatient care, facilitation of patient transfer from the ER department to specialty departments, recovery and post-procedural care, and resuscitation of critically ill patients in the ICU. Additionally, the In-Patient Care Associate Veterinarian - (Hospitalist) is responsible for communication with departments that are receiving an ER transfer, answering referral partner inquiries, and updating clients with hospitalized pets. This is a unique opportunity for a small-animal veterinarian with extensive emergency and critical care in a specialty hospital setting. Strong communication and organizational skills, the ability to collaborate with all team members and across departments, and the desire and ability to provide the highest level of patient care are essential to the success of a Hospitalist. Specific Responsibilities and Expectations
- Provide inpatient care for hospitalized patients with a wide range of medical problems and disease processes that have not been and/or will not be transferred to a specialty department.
- Facilitate evaluation and/or transfer of hospitalized patients to specialty departments
- Assist in the triage process, intake, evaluation, and treatment of patients presented to the ER department
- Receive transfers from specialty departments for continued hospitalization of cases that do not require direct oversight and frequent input from the specialty department
- Evaluate new ER cases and transfers from referral partners and coordinate care or transfer to a specialty service
- Communicate with clients and referral partners regarding patient status, diagnostic and treatment plans, invoice and estimate updates, and follow-up care
- Support specialty department inpatient care including post-procedure recovery and monitoring, medical record updating, and communication with clients and referral partners
- Act as a liaison between the ER department and referral partners by providing information and recommendations regarding intake through the ER department versus scheduling with a specialty department
- Engage in training of ER clinical service team members
- Assist the hospital leadership team in improving the triage process, the workflow in the ICU, and collaboration between departments to achieve the highest level of patient care
Shift-based compensation with the opportunity for production pay. Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Why join the team at MedVet Toledo?
- A Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree, or equivalent, from an accredited university.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in an ER and/or ICU setting. Preference will be given to doctors that have critical care experience and have worked in a multispecialty hospital.
- The ability to become licensed to practice veterinary medicine in [State] as well as hold a DEA license.
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Collaborative personality
- Desire to provide exceptional patient care in a fast-paced environment
Everything Starts with Our Caregivers
- MedVet Toledo is a 24/7 emergency hospital that also offers referrals ultrasounds by a board-certified radiologist.
- We are AAHA accredited and committed to a collaborative, team-focused approach to comprehensive care.
- You'll have the technology, equipment, and team support you need to provide exceptional care.
- All radiographs are evaluated by MedVet board-certified radiologists daily, our dedicated nursing team staffs our ICU ward around the clock, and we have an experienced ER doctor team that provides amazing mentorship.
- We are the only emergency hospital in Northwest Ohio with a doctor on site at all times, and we have 24-hour specialty consultation available with nearby MedVet Commerce and MedVet Columbus.
- We also use ezyVet to make completing medical records a breeze.
- For more information about MedVet Toledo see our digital magazine .
Why will you love living in Toledo?
- Our doctors are eligible to become shareholders - a rare opportunity to have ownershipand share in the growth and success of MedVet & VEI hospitals across the country.
- We offer all the benefits you expect, plus a Generous Signing Bonus , Competitive Compensation, Shareholder Opportunity, Student Loan Repayment Program and Paid Parental Leave.
- Our passionate and dedicated team of doctors, certified technicians, assistants, and client service representatives is committed to being the best in the veterinary profession to give and receive care. Our collaboration, passion, and energy can be felt by everyone who enters our hospital doors.
- Our team members treat patients and clients like they are our own family, and we develop referral partner relationships built on trust, respect, communication, and empathy.
On the Western tip of Lake Erie, Toledo offers and abundance of outdoor recreation and sports. The region is a great place to live, work, and raise your family with an affordable cost of living, short commutes, and diverse neighborhoods that support a superb quality of life. The Toledo area boasts a nationally recognized zoo, a world-class art museum, a symphony orchestra, opera, and ballet. For thrill seekers, it's a short drive to Cedar Point for jaw-dropping roller coasters, and for a day trip, you can visit Detroit, MI, and Columbus, OH, in less than two hours. For more information about MedVet, please visit our website at www.medvet.com
or tosubmit a confidential CV
, email Amanda Purcell at Amanda.Purcell@medvet.com
There are more positions listed at www.medvet.com/careers
. Moving somewhere we don't currently have a posting? We still want to hear from you! Come as you are.
MedVet is committed to creating a safe and inclusive environment for all team members. You can count on us to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all team members and applicants. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, training, and overall experience and abilities. We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship status, uniformed service member status, pregnancy, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.